Friday, July 25, 2014

Traffic Jam Reflections From Scotland



Last month a dear friend passed away.  She was not young, she was in her eighties and had been placed in a rest home at the end of last year.  But no one expected that her end was imminent.  She was not a physically strong lady and had never been.  She was unable to walk unassisted and had ear and eyesight problems.  But health wise, there was no real concern of any problem that would cast doubts that she may not live for another “wee” while (she used that “wee” phrase often, her Scottish heritage).

Therefore when I was in Italy and received an email from her son to tell me she had died I was in a state of disbelief and had to read and reread the email over and over again so that I knew the words I were reading were real.  It is so awfully sad to lose a friend but to lose one when you are so far away and without someone to share the pain with makes the grief all the more deeply painful.  It’s a lonely place to be – grieving on your own.

It was not helped by the knowledge that my being away overseas for such a long period may not have helped her will to live.  I am not stating that in an egotistical way but knew how important my visits to her were.  She did not have many visits from anyone and each day she would have great hopes that perhaps this day would be the day I or some other visitor would walk through the door to sit and spend time with her.  She loved to “mull” a few things over.

When I did last visit before my departure I was dreading the question which I knew she would ask.  She asked me how long I was going to be in the UK and when would I be back.  I hesitated as didn’t want to tell her, but had to.  When I told her that I may not be back until September I saw the instant blanket of sadness and disappointment fall across her face.  It will last forever in my mind.

I know my friendship with Ella was something she treasured.  Ella had moved from her homeland of Scotland twenty years ago when her husband had unexpectedly died;  she had left her life-long friends behind in the very street she had lived in all her married life.  When she came to New Zealand she was unable to make a new and real selection of her own friends as due to a mild handicap she was unable to get out and about and be independent.  Ella had to rely on having friends visit her, not the other way around.  And in reality, apart from her son, Tony and I were her only friends for a period.  Over the years two of our own friends did add two more people to her New Zealand  Christmas card list and gave her two more people to enjoy sharing cups of tea and scones and sausage rolls with.

Knowing what it would mean to her to not have my visits to look forward to for four months I made a promise to her that I felt would give her something to enjoy looking forward to.  I had told her that I would be making a visit to her home town on Dumfries, in Scotland, and that I would call and visit her friends and neighbours who she missed so much.  This certainly did lift her spirits as some of them had been regularly writing to her over the years and one in particular she held very dear.  That was a lady who Ella used to described as “my daughter”;  Ella only ever had one child, the son.  But Linda was Ella’s “daughter”, a lady, younger than me, who Ella had known when Linda and her husband had moved into Ella’s neighbourhood when they were in their twenties .  Ella had grown as fond of Linda and her children as any mother would for a real blood daughter and her children.

So I told Ella I would visit Dumfries.  I had no initial intention of travelling up to the West Coast of Scotland when I first planned my UK trip, but for Ella, it was worth making the commitment.  It would be the least I could do for her.  When I left that last visit to her in the rest home I left with a list of people who I was given instructions to call and see and a committed promise to her that I would take lots of photos – of her old home, her ‘daughter’, her neighbours and her friends.   That would give her much to look forward to, or so I thought.

But sadly, she died.

With her passing away there would be no point in making a trip to Dumfries.  There was no one to report back to, no one to take gossip, or news or photos to on my return.
But I have been.  Just been.  I have a strong loyalty to people who are important to me, and when I make a commitment to do something for them, I do it.  I will never knowingly let anyone down.  It was important to Ella that I go and meet with Linda, her ‘daughter’.  It was important to Ella that I go visit the street she had lived in.  The rest home she has worked most of her married life in.  The neighbours she knew so well.  The town and streets she walked and grew up in as a child.  It was all important to Ella that she shared her past life with me.  I had promised her I would go, so I went.

I am glad I did.  Even though I am typing all of this up whilst sitting in the biggest traffic jam I have ever experienced whilst driving back to Wales from Dumfries – and more than likely will have to make an emergency booking in a hotel somewhere – I have visited Dumfries, been hosted by Linda and been taken by Linda to all those places that were important to Ella.  And more.   Linda took me to Ella’s husband’s grave – the grave where we are presuming Ella will eventually be laid to rest, with her Jim. It was consoling to see where she will be laid to rest.

I felt sad, and I felt happy.  Linda and some of the old neighbours had some lovely personal reminiscences of Ella that gave one a small indication of how much Ella did mean to them and all their children for all the decades they and Ella had lived in the Dumfries.
Not only that, but I had had the joy of driving through the Scottish countryside, seen some truly beautiful countryside and coastline.  The weather has been absolutely magnificent with blue, blue skies and temperatures that one could only wish for.  It is mid-summer here and as a result the hills and fields look beautiful.  They are either being used for very picturesque cattle grazing, or for rye growing, or for hay making.  And today there have been many marvellous haymaking scenes of picture painting settings.  With that and all the woods and babbling brooks there have been a number of moments that I felt I was living in a Constable painting.  Just needed the little dog and the haywain.

Even now, being stuck in this major traffic jam - I am on a back B road in the Lancashire countryside and every ten or twelve minutes the car can move forward thirty metres – so over the past few hours I have moved a mere three kilometres -  but even in all this the countryside and the tiny little villages are beautiful that I have seen roads and villages I would never have seen had we not been diverted this way off the M6.  And I have seen them for a longer period than most!  A good ten minute stare at a village church spire does great things to the soul.

So, all in all.  Thank you Ella.  Thank you for having me travel to Dumfries.  Thank you for giving me some special Scottish experiences; thank you for enabling me to have a new friend in Linda, your ‘daughter’; thank you for having me spend some special time with her in her home and even meeting some of her family; thank you for having me revisit your old home and neighbours; thank you for taking me back to old times and for having me live in a Constable painting for a couple of days. 

Another example of how something sad, with a little planning, can become a magical lifetime positive - even in a horrendous UK traffic jam.

                                  Quote for deceased relative

No comments:

Post a Comment