Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mountain Reflections: One

I’ve made at least one half day of my unknown days of solitude and silence. 

There has certainly been a lot of silence in the past few hours.  I do wonder whether I will be able to sustain this solitude for more than a day, such is my nature to inevitably find myself among others more often than on my own.

Over the past three days I have been asked the question on more than one occasion whether coming away for some days of quiet and self reflection would actually be a wise or good thing for me.  Even I hesitated when first asked the question as it had not crossed my mind that perhaps coming away for a few days on my own may perhaps not be a good thing to do or one that I could very well regret.

Until being asked the question it had been something I felt the need to do.  The only difficulty I seemed to be having was being able to extricate myself from an already over loading diary of activities and actions that keep me from bird and butterfly watching.

It almost did not happen, I almost turned down my own invitation to come away by myself, such was the lack of anticipation I really had for my own company.

However instinctive (or in plainer terms, “gut”) reaction was that I had to, I needed to get away.  It has been an almost overwhelming need to get away.  There has been an inner feeling of oppression that seems impossible to shake or remove at home and everywhere around home.  I feel as it has been wrapping around me like a tightly fitting blanket and squeezing the hell out of me.

The blanket of oppression.  It’s the grief.  It’s a blanket of grief that I cannot shake off my shoulders.  Its weight won’t drop off my shoulders and it’s causing a great smouldering heavily inside.  It is smouldering inside me like my own tumour that is growing and growling and not receding with time as so many people tell me it would.

I cannot remove or dislodge this tumour.  No matter how much of a brave and positive air or face I can put on; no matter how many firsts I am ticking myself through;  no matter how many runs or races or bike rides or swims or walks I do, no matter how many places I go, the tumour is not going away.  It is just sitting there, still, and getting heavier and heavier and burdening me down. 

I know it is still early since Tony passed away.  I am typing this exactly nine weeks, one day and a few hours since Tony passed.  I am more than aware of the fact that nine weeks is but a blink of time.  I also know that I cannot possibly hope to pass through the tunnel of grief in a mere month or two and that for me it will take an inordinately long time, no matter what the future holds. 

And my love for Tony was such that I may even end up wallowing permanently in a mire of grief and never really come out the other end of that tunnel, no matter what the future holds.  I actually do hope that will not be the case.  He would not want that.

But I do know I have had a real need to get away and to get away now.  Not later in the year or next year.  I need to have come away now.  Ideally I would like to have made it months, but a few days to a week is still a bonus.  And it needed to be somewhere where there is no one.  No one I know and no one I want to get to know.  I felt the very strong need to travel somewhere where no one can see me, no one can hear me.  Because I need scream.  I need to really, really cry.  To really, really howl.   To bawl my heart out.   Something I have not been able to do since Tony died.

Can’t do that at home.   It would scare the neighbours.  And anyone passing by.  Could cause quite a stir.  Getting carried off to the funny farm isn’t even an option nowadays.  There are no such things as funny farms anymore – so whilst men in little white coats may carry me off, due to government cost cutting all funny farm inmates are now sent back home to live in the community, so the neighbours would only end up with me howling from my hallways again. 

And true to form, my instinctive need was so very correct.  Didn’t make it far past Auckland before the waves of loss broke over me.

I was in my own little world, driving ever so carefully, humming along to one of the nostalgia CDs I had grabbed as I left the house, when I was suddenly aware that I could not glance casually to my left and see my darling Tony sitting there in the passenger seat.  The seat he sat in for so many of our fun or sporting journeys was no longer filled.  It was empty.  Nor would he be ever sitting behind the wheel of the vehicle again, driving me off to yet another mini adventure of our own.  He is gone.  Forever.  Never to be sitting with me, never to be with me again.  I cannot just reach out and touch him.  Feel  his hands, his face, his hair and remind him as I so often did at these times that he is my ‘beautiful man’.  He would look back at me with that soft smile, gently shake his head, and love hearing it.  He was a beautiful man to me.  I always told him so when we were together in our quite times. He loved hearing it, I loved the smile I got back or the arm reaching over to gently squeeze my hand.

The over powering and deep emotion of loss was dreadful. It was pull over time on the main highway.  The loss, it really is physically painful.  It really reaches deep into the deepest part of the stomach and twists and turns and hurts like hell.  And as it twists and turns the achingly heart twists with it and the flood of tears begin all over again.

It is that which will not go away.  That’s my own tumour.

It is that which I cannot move or budge.  It is that which I feel needs to be purged. 

I cannot do that at home.  Someone will ring the doorbell.  And be bringing more cake. 

And I am still 67.6 kgs.

No comments:

Post a Comment