Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mountain Reflections: Two


It’s morning.  It’s a perfect morning.  It is perfect where I am.  It’s a ski lodge that sits at the bottom of the mountain in Ohakune.

Actually, it sits on a small knoll, making it slightly elevated from the town and has a superb outlook back over the town in the early evening when the sun is setting.  At least it did last night when the sun set.  I have been blessed with glorious weather for yesterday’s drive and this morning’s awakening.

The sunset last night was indeed glorious.  I was wise enough to arrive within thirty minutes of daylight to enable me to find where I was staying and then find all the relevant power and lighting switches.

Just as well I had been given finite and a hand drawn map to direct me to this place as it is not an easy find, if unexplained.

Once in the lodge went searching for my camera as the mountain was reflected in the most glorious sunset pink with the setting sun highlighting brilliantly on the whiteness of the snow that has fallen.

Alas, the camera was buried deep in the various boxes so the moment was missed.

Besides, don’t think I can download photos into the blog thing anyway.  At least my Tutor of Blogs, F, has yet to show me how. 

The ski lodge is perfect for me too.  Not quite the ski lodge that one may imagine with an continuous and roaring fire with a handsome young skier leaning on the mantel above – directly under the taxidermied stags head and antlers.  It has the fire place but not quite that one.  Nor is there a handsome young skier anywhere to be found.  I know, because I looked.  I searched every bedroom in the place and there was not a skier or sole or soul to be found.  Thank goodness.

Well, that’s not quite right.  There were a lot of souls.  Dead ones.  In the form of ginormous blow flies.  Where do they come from?  Why so many?  Dead and alive ones. 

I understand now why there are six cans of fly spray in the kitchen.  Have zapped a few already and my first task this morning was to locate the sturdy Tellus vacuum cleaner and vacuum up the greatly spread piles of dead blow flies. Should have done this last night but really did not want to do housework on my first night.  I am here for a retreat, not to vacuum.  Mistake really; avoiding standing and squashing the dead and large blow flies became a game of Twister.  Many ended up being kick under the tables until vacuuming time.  The Tellus shall remain leaning in the dining room, awaiting the next spraying of insect genocide.

Speaking of bugs – when did that bloody great Moa arrive in Taumarunui? 

Never seen it before.  Is it new?  Is it a monument to some great moa find in the King Country?  Was there some great unveiling of the thing?  Is there history of moa down this way?  Have I never seen it before, would that be because I have usually been sleeping as we have driven through the sleepy township?  Can anyone tell me anything about the Taumarunui moa?

To close this rambling reflection.  Where I am is within walking distance of the Powderhorn/Keg – that could be handy if I tire of baked beans and stale bread (last night’s a la cart), and cake.

There is no television, no radio nor any WiFi (nor handsome young skier – I am truly solo – hurrah).  So I shall have to take myself to the local cafe and update myself with emails over a latte.  That should be the daily delight for me.

On my mountain bike, should the weather gods remain as benevolent as they are today.  Must wrap up warm though.  Am still in my pyjamas – they don’t need to be described. Think grunge, then think more grunge.  Might just throw my cycle clothes over the top of them, load up PC on back and go! ....  bet you I wouldn’t be the first in the Ohakune cafes dressed in their PJs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment