Monday, November 18, 2013

I must learn to say "No"


Everything has a humorous side, I guess.  I certainly can see the humour in my present situation that I seem to have got myself into.  

For the past 6 days have supposedly been domicile in the Coromandel holiday town of Whangamata.  A town that is most people’s idea of a perfect place to be at any time of year.  Most, but not me.   I have this feeling of desolation, isolation and disconnectedness from my real world.  Thus I sit here in my semi-bemused yet incarcerated state and ponder on my own failings; one of which is the inability to say ‘no’.

Am getting many texts and messages from folk telling me to have a great break, or to enjoy my holiday, or hoping that I am finding the time away relaxing.  Relaxing is the last thing I feel, or have felt, since I first left the environs of Auckland last week.

This situation began some 7 or so months ago.  I blame Shelley.  Friend Shelley.  For it was she who accompanied me on a post-Tony-funeral couple of days away to our friends who live in Whangamata.  Being a teacher she was on her April school holiday break and no doubt she felt, quite rightly so, that she would be doing a good social service by accompanying me to Whangamata for a couple of nights staying with some mutual, old friends of hers, mine and Tony’s.

I was in post-funeral stage, which was probably why she felt she could be of most value to her grieving friend and in a sense I would guess that in itself gave her some sense of helpfulness – in the care giving of a friend in need of hugs, love and soul sharing.  She’s good at that, better than most and no doubt took on the responsibility of her role most seriously.  So when these old friends of ours in Whangamata  insisted I come and visit and stay with them as their own gesture to help me through this grief period I recognised it as their reaching out to help, as did Shelley.

The reality is, I did not want to leave my home where everything that mattered to me was around me, contained in my own little home;  my place of solace and comfort, surrounded by the things that had been Tony’s and my life for nearly 20 years.  But I did understand and acknowledge that our Whangamata friends were reaching out to help and help is something I am often, frequently, blamed for not taking when I should, so on this occasion, with the willing support of Shelley, I accepted the offer of two nights’ accommodation at their Coromandel home to enjoy their hospitality. 

For the purpose of this story one should know that our friends are renowned for their hospitality as it extends greatly to fine, and copious amounts, of good wine and heavily sauce and calorie laden, delicious creations called meals.  Tony and I had been fortunate enough to have shared in their hospitality on more than one occasion over the years and when reflecting on the times we visited the instant photographic memory pictures are those of delightfully chilled white wines, followed by the clinking of over flowing champagne flutes, followed by bowls mellowed red, burgundy wines; all shared over rich, filling meals digested with many a laugh and retold pre-lived stories.  I can hear the clinking of Tony’s glass now and his chuckles as he sat at their dining table and waffled on with flowing verbosity about life, experiences and loves.

So I guess these friends considered that imbibing in wine and beautifully rich foods would seem the perfect way to help Verna pass those early nights of post-Tony grief and having Shelley accompany me down to their home was their added bonus of seeing two friends at once.

And sure enough, around the midday hour one April day Shelley and I arrived at their abode and within moments of our arrival a crystal glass of beautifully chilled white wine was placed benevolently into our ever so resisting hands.  It was a warm, sunny April day and we sat in their very overflowing and over growing back garden, under the shade of the kauri tree with the happy little twerpings of the local birds in the warm April breeze creating the perfect background natural ambience to share mutual friendship and caring. 

The first wine glass was barely empty when a sparkling champagne flute followed, a flute that magically never emptied, no matter how frequently Shelley and I sipped its contents.  The sun was warm as was the company and after another few hours of sitting outdoors sipping bubbles  we had all mellowed and moved indoors in preparation for the early evening meal being carefully prepared by the male partner of our friends.  And of course with the meal another bottle of wine was opened, this time a smooth, red burgundy to match the evening casserole and heavily syrupy tiramisu.  Yes, our friends had indeed done a good deed and Shelley, as my minder, was fulfilling her role admirably.

Funnily enough I don’t actually clearly recall much of the rest of the evening; despite the fact that I am sure both Shelley and I had declined further sippings of the wine on offer.  I do know I was not what would be termed as intoxicated, but no doubt over the period of hours the wine had taken the sharpness of mind away, the sharpness of any bodily moving part actually, but I know I did sleep better that night than I had for a very long time.  And I recall waking in the morning with a totally clear head and no ill side affects thereby not having to analyse anything from the afternoon or evening before.
That is until three weeks ago when I received the phone call.  The phone call telling me what a wonderful person I was to be travelling down to their home to look after their two much loved and adored cats for them while they travelled to Australia to finally spread the ashes of one of their mothers into the Australian east coast ocean as was her final request before she passed away.

For the first few minutes of that phone call I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about and had to try to piece together the one-sided conversation they were having with me to finally come to the conclusion that I was seemingly, expected to travel to Whangamata for a period of up to two weeks while they toddled off to Australia for their ash spreading ceremony.  

And I was to do this in mid November.  This month. 

It seems that seven months earlier, according to their phone conversation, there had been an agreement made that I would fulfill the role of cat-sitter for them while they went ash-spreading. 

The majority of the phone call was taken up with their intenseness of gratitude that it was due only to my role in looking after their cats that was enabling them to finally plan to distribute mother along the golden shores of the Australian Gold Coast.  Their tickets were booked, they were flying out on a certain date, would be away for 8 days and strongly suggested I travel down to Whangamata a couple of days prior to their departure, thus enabling me to learn the ropes of the routines and habits of ‘Rattie’ and ‘Molly’ and return to Auckland two or three days after their return, which would leave us all a good couple of days of post-travel catch up.

I hung up the phone not quite sure what, or how, this had happened.  I was speechless.

Instinctively I reached for my diary. Apart from my computer my little diary is the most important item I possess for it has everything in it that I do, need to do, or are expected to do.  It is my mobile To-Do i-diary.   November.  November is the beginning of the busiest time of any year for me.  There is such a lot of commitments to do in November, personal and coaching wise.  There are events, health matters, hospital visits, family matters, invitations, work, coaching and financial commitments.  I had a friend in Australia suggesting I go visit her.  Another friend was travelling to the South Island and seriously suggested I join her for part of her two week camper van holiday.  Both of which I would dearly love to do. 

And not only all that – but I have two cats of my own! I would have to get someone to cat sit for while I go cat sitting.

Oh dear.  This was the worst ever time to be taking a theoretical sojourn to the beach resort of Whangamata.  How did this happen?  How?

By coincidence Shelley was visiting my house later that day and I asked her, “Shelley, do you remember anything about my offering to look after our friends cats while they fly to Australia to spread their mother’s ashes?”

Instantly I could see by Shelley’s quizzical look that she had no idea what I was talking about.  Then slowly, very slowly there was that look of memory recall on her face.  “Yes,” she nodded, “Somewhere during that very winey evening there was some mention of spreading mother’s ashes and someone going to look after the cats.  But …  that was back in April  … and I would have thought that would have happened months ago.” 

And then, as one does when one realises they have avoided any sense of responsible commitment themselves, a rather sardonic grin began to be created on Shelley’s face, “And you agreed to cat sit for them!”

And that is where I hold Shelley at fault for the predicament I am now in. 
As a caring, sensitive friend, who had taken the sole responsibility of being my companion for those couple of April days, her loyalty and care-giving role meant she had the responsibility, totally, on the protection on the grief-sticken one.  It was her role to defend the grievee of any bad decision making that may be made in a time of emotional instability.  To deflect any difficulties that may be tossed in the grievee’s way – to beat them off before they became an issue, a problem.  To at all times be the protective soul for which she had happily put her hand up for. 

So, I blame Shelley.

Tongue out of cheek – I blame myself – for my own inability to say, “No.”

I have had to cancel appointments, cancel any possible trip to Melbourne, to the South Island.  Have cancelled two dinner invitations, miss two friends important birthday celebrations, withdrawn from a swim event I had entered and paid for, will probably return home and find my newly laid vegetable garden parched and dead from lack of watering; and most of all, organised a cat sitter for my own two cats. 

So here I sit, in this little retreat in Whangamata.  Cat sitting Rattie and Molly.  Two moggies who hate me.  Who won’t come near me.  Who hiss and run when I try to approach and make friends with them.  Who will only come and eat their food once I have left the property or gone to bed at night. 
But their parents are texting from the Gold Coast thankful that they have had the opportunity to go and fulfill Mother’s wishes, solely due to my looking after their precious fluffies.  Mother is spread, dispersed, scattered.  

Her ashes will probably eventually wash up back here, in the waves on the Whangamata beach.


Oh, NO!


    
A frustrated yellow smiley faceView details
Black cat with arched back

No comments:

Post a Comment