Monday, June 2, 2014

Another ho-hum travel journey from some nobody


I shall call it - Travel Journal 1
How boring!

I went to the Churchill War Rooms in London the other day. For me it was a well spend few pounds for a couple of hours wandering the corridors of the underground rooms where Churchill and his war time colleagues spent many hours planning and mapping the strategies of defeating the enemy.  I have never understood why, but have always had a deep interest in anything Churchill.  My favourite reading over the past many years has tended to be the books in my book shelves about or by Churchill. 

After my couple of hours wandering the war rooms there was a great temptation to purchase yet another Churchill book from the inevitable souvenir room that one must pass through before being able to exit any museum or gallery.  I browsed over a couple of books I had not seen before and then resisted the compulsive urge to purchase.  I need not read more about him, but more to the point I need not have any more excess luggage to return to NZ with. 

I did however dally over yet another small handbook of Churchill’s quotes.  He was so magnificent with his quips and quotes – a skill I admire and envy in those who are adept at the quick and clever retort.  As I was about to set it back on the shelf the page opened to one particular quote of his which rang some personal tingles for me. 

‘It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to see further than you can see.’

It gave me the ‘huh’ factor when reading that.  His quote sums up how I have been feeling over the past many months since first heading out on this self-journey of heading back to the future.  I have spent endless hours trying to think, and look, and fathom what my life plans ahead of me should be but have found it most difficult to see any further than tomorrow, or the day after.  Not due to lack of vision or drive, but due to circumstances and lack of clarity to accept what has passed is actually in the past.

Since March last year each day has had so much past in it I could not see further ahead.  Thus, this is one of the reasons I am now on the other side of the world, seemingly meandering aimlessly.  It is my big (and expensive) step into clearing the past, not dismissing it, merely clearing it so that I can see further than the fog. So that I can see clear, fogless space ahead.

Only time will tell me when that fog has completely cleared; but something inside me tells me that what I am doing is right, is my only way of having it settle, emerging through it and being focused on a clear and positive future.  Sadly, I have to be realistic too – there is not a great deal of time in the future, thus need to make it worthwhile.

Hence, here I am.  In Rome.  With my sister.  Pooped, from a day of wandering the cobbled streets of ancient history, shouldering and being shouldered by thousands of tourists all on their personal urgent missions to get from one ruin to another, whilst ruining the other humans experiences of heading in the other directions.

Has been a good day though.  An excellent training day for those soon to come when we are to be walking anything from 14 to 19 kilometres a day for seven or eight days.  Indeed, on those days we may be yearning to be back in the city with thousands as at least when we needed it, there were ample cafes, restaurants, museums, churches, galleries, shops, parks and shaded trees we could take shelter under or in.

And we did.  We also kept coming across yet new ruins of history that we had forgotten were in Rome.  It seemed that each turning of each corner there was yet another postcard picture to be had.  Amusingly, we became bored with ruins.  Or maybe it was self-concern over our sore soles on our feet and weary souls of being a mere tourist among thousands?

Funnily enough, have come to the conclusion that this trip is more timely for me than I would have ever imagined.  I am already ‘city-ed’ out, and have been pondering for weeks now on why I had not been in my usual state of travel excitement leading up to all that has happened so far, and all that I have planned for while I am up in the Northern Hemisphere.  All the amazing plans that have been in place.  Such a lot most folk would only dream of.  That excitement that others have felt for me, just has not ignited.  It is most peculiar.  Most unusual.  It has bothered me why.  All I really felt the need to do was to get on the plane and get to England, Surrey.  Then get my feet on Italian soil.  Why? More on that next blog update.  I must stop, I fear my typing is disturbing a slumbering one.

No comments:

Post a Comment