Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mirror, mirror on the wall

  
I looked at myself in the mirror this morning, the bathroom one that magnifies the face, and reflects back the very obvious reminder that I am now a 30-plus, 40-plus, err… 50-plus  … oh dear, a 60-plus year old woman. I groaned internally.  The numerical figures look so bad, so old.  And the face matches the figures. 

Then I was reminded of what Tony had said many, many years ago when I first had a clear, magnified look at my face and bemoaned the fact to him that age, sun and outdoor pursuits are not conducive to keeping at bay the inevitable results of time, ozone holes and weather exposure.  No longer would there ever be a lineless, clear, smooth appearance on this facial full frontal.

Darling Tony immediately responded to my negativity with his endearing, positive retort, “Well my sweet, that’s why whoever our maker was had our eyesight decline with declining years too.  Because with my eyesight getting worse with age I can’t see any of those faults you moan about, I can’t see those lines and imperfections.  To me you look as beautiful as you ever were when we first met.” 

That was soooo Tony.

I would have the negative comments; he would respond with the positive retorts.  Always.  No matter the topic matter.  He would set me back onto a balanced attitude and I would feel shame at my negativity and rejoice at his enduring positivity.  I’d then feel good.

So when I have a negative thought nowadays, I have to imagine what his positive response would be and then feel reproached at not learning through his years of retorts that being positive about everything is what makes life worthwhile and worth living for.

Therefore I must make sure all my friends from now on are really matured, well aged – so that they cannot see the lines, sunspots and weathered 60-plus face I am now the carrier of and all they see is the 30-plus face I once had.  Ah, feel so much better now.  Thanks Tony.


Come hither old-aged pensioners and infirmed.



No comments:

Post a Comment