Monday, March 3, 2014

Post Ironman 2014


If I had the inclination this would be a step-by-step report of last Saturday’s big Ironman day.  But the inclination is not there and besides, this internet cafĂ© I am in charges an extraordinarily high $’s charge for using their connection, and downloading the personal emails since leaving home last week is taking up internet time.  Thus will not be able to answer most of the emails – but must remember to take myself off the daily or weekly mailing lists of a number of organisations – they may be interesting when one has the time – but damned annoying when only interested in real people who send emails.

To those lovely folk who have texted, left voice messages or emailed, or have left and put up Facebook messages over the past days – please do not take offence at any lack of response from me – firstly have been staying at a place without Wifi – and secondly, don't have the real updated phone-Wifi-y-knowledge how to up or download much of everything - so it's intermittent and hit and miss with me as to when I download.And thirdly, have decided not to return to Auckland after the Ironman event and am taking myself on a solo tiki-tour of where ever takes my fancy over the next period of time.  
Those with a slight level of EQ will figure out why I have chosen to do such at this time.

It is certainly not about sulking over my own Ironman disappointing day – was always intending to not return to Auckland whether I had done good or not.  But, whilst walking the paths of Orakei-Korako today I admit to thinking to myself that I’m rather glad not to have to retell the sorry story over again to those back home who will kindly enquire.  I had bad luck.  Kept saying to my team that with the numbers we had entered this year the odds are that something will happen to at least one of us.  Just had never banked on it being me this time, damn it. 

Still, I am always the one constantly telling others that when things go wrong, “… deal with it …  and … just keep moving…” So I did.  With some depleting effort, but nevertheless keeping moving did get me to the point of the whole Ironman 2014 exercise;  that was to complete this Ironman, solo.

For which I am most grateful.

And am heartened by one of the bike mechanics who tried to help me out on Saturday then sought me out yesterday to tell me he considered my day’s effort on Saturday to have been, “One of the most f……   gutsiest women I know.” I think it was a compliment.  I think.?..   was it??  

Mind you, with the huge support team that arrived in the town for the day, my own lovely family, our other fellow athletes and the support teams of our other fellow athletes around the course, one could not say it was a solo effort.  Appreciated every encouraging word and hug from each of them.  Lord knows I needed it.

Will say it was with heavy heart I learnt early in the morning that one team member had a bigger hiccup than I – just wished they had been at the Awards night so they could hear and understand what a hero each of those who were unable to cross the line were.  And it was with little jumps of heart-joy when I eventually managed to catch a glimpse of one of our own team working their own personal journey to Ironman finish line.

Was fortunate to have had an interlude of catch up chatter with one of the team;  had heart sinking empathy for others who looked like they were finding the going tough; and complete satisfaction in seeing others firmly focused to their finish line.

Loved that my predictions for most of the team members were spot on.  Knew two of them would be podium finishers – they were – and against good opposition – and a couple of others actually bettered my predictions.  At times like this I do love being wrong.

Anyway, the long version of this so-called-short epistle is that I am away, AWOL, will be for several more days – therefore if you receive no response to texts or emails or voice messages, please do not be offended – am just switching off the mind.  But will still enjoy receiving them! 

If it really is urgent – text me to tell me – I shall then respond.


Otherwise, to every one of you who have sent me supporting messages – whether for Ironman or ....  (every one of them makes a difference) ...

....    big thank you.



                                                    clipart, holiday, holidays, valentine, valentines, day, piggy, bank, banks, heart, hearts, money



                                     
   



             

No comments:

Post a Comment