Friday, March 7, 2014

Rats......

It is my wish that most of these blogs I put up here are blogs of light hearted commentary, light hearted levity and light hearted humour.  Blogs to enjoy and make folk feel good.  Feel good for me and feel good for whoever may read them.  Humour is the quickest and easiest way to my own heart (no to those that think food is the quickest way to the heart, caramel slices come second after a good laugh), and where ever possible I do try to lift dreary souls, including my own, and see something funny in most situations, especially ones that have me laugh at myself.   Indeed, the best belly laughs are the ones when I laugh at myself.

But this blog today is not going to be light hearted.  I can tell.  So click off now if you seek to be light heartedly entertained.

It’s been a rat-shit few days.  I don’t know how else to describe it.  ‘Glum’?  That’s too light a word to use.  ‘Hellish’?  Maybe that’s too heavy a word to use.  So ‘rat-shit’ fits somewhere in between them.  Guess the more polite way would be to say it been an “awful few days” – but that doesn’t say it either.  Because, they’ve been rat-shit.

And yes, to some degree it is self induced.  I knew this period of time would not be a happy or easy period and had long ago been dreading the month of March.  Mind you, last year I was dreading the month of July.  And then the month of Christmas.  But this one, this March, has been the most dreaded of all.

I guess it has been looming up in my consciousness since March last year.  The dreaded first year anniversary of Tony’s passing.  And our wedding anniversary.  The two dates are only two days apart.  7th March, our wedding anniversary.  9th March when Tony passed away.

I am not a person who likes to be alone but I do recognise that there are times when being alone is the best solution for myself and all those who are normally around me or care for me; therefore had long ago decided to prepare myself for this time, and save others the burden of yet again trying to help a widow who seems endlessly to weep.  I decided to take myself away from the home environs, take myself somewhere as far away as I could feasibly go but somewhere on roads that I had never travelled with Tony.  For it seems that almost every road in New Zealand has been travelled at some time by the two of us together, thereby throwing me back into doleful melancholy.  We did do a lot together.

Thus, finding non-Tony-travelled roads has found me sitting in an 8 foot by 10 foot cabin in a camping ground that is on the coast line of Hawkes Bay.  As I type I can hear the waves breaking on the sands, not 200 metres from this little cabin.  I hear fellow travelers sitting outside talking and laughing in the early morning dark; puffing on their cigarettes and drinking from bottles of local brew that they've been drinking all night, some actually are drinking coffee. 

It’s rather an adventure really.  Just me, sadly a 60 plus year old me, in a camping ground surrounded by all manner of 18 to 30 year olds who speak languages I cannot pin point.  This country certainly attracts thousands of young Europeon travelers each calendar year but they certainly do not add great value to our GDP judging by what I have observed in their meager spending on foods, travel and accommodation here.  The kitchen last night seemed to have heavy odours packaged soups and noodles, and crackers.  Interestingly some of that hideously horrid food was taken in with bottles of cheap red wine.  That would be a plus for New Zealand if it were not for the fact that the red wine bottles I saw were of the cheap Australian branded varieties that one can purchase at Pak n Save or the like.  So even the wine spending in the best wine country in New Zealand is spent on cheap Aussie reds.

I have been travelling around the island since departing Taupo earlier this week.  Deep in the central North Island was struck by the beauty of the dilapidated ruins of buildings and towns that only 40 or 50 years ago were thriving little settlements before the advent of modern day governments that depleted the financial hearts from the towns and have seen them become visual historic sites.

I didn’t stop for long in those places as the weather earlier this week had turned cold, with winds that made standing still almost impossible.  And now I am in sun shining, windless East Coast territory and will remain here until I feel the morbidity of the present time has passed and I can return home.

Yesterday was and probably will be the worst day.  No matter how hard I tried throughout the day I could not stop myself from reflecting on the happiest day we ever shared together only a few years ago.  On a boat on Lake Taupo, two days after we had both completed yet another Ironman, in the presence of a handful of special family and friends.  Dear friends officiated as celebrants to legally bind us as husband and wife.  It was the perfect day.  In every way. 

There was no urgency for us to marry.  We had both long histories of disastrous encounters of the married kind and when we became a ‘couple’ some twenty years ago had belly-laughed ourselves at the thought of adding yet another statistic to our histories. 

Then the years passed happily by.  Until I was floored sometime in the late 1990’s when Tony literally went on bended knee and asked that we marry.  It must be noted that not a drop of wine had passed his lips that day, that he was completely sober and had long preplanned to ‘pop the question’.  Sadly, I said no.  I say sadly because now that I know what the ending was, I should have responded with a ‘yes’ and had the benefit of so many more years being known as ‘Tony’s wife’ and lived that many more years in a happily married state. 

I had said no at that time because of the fact we were so happy and I feared that changing any status quo could put the hex of previous pasts on us.  This is a perfect example of there being nothing to fear except fear itself.

Anyway, a few more years went by and the question was asked a few more times and each time there was a less firm ‘no’ response, until eventually I knew, really knew, it was time we formalised the informal structure of our relationship.   By this time I knew we would be forever happy, that there were no cracks or fears in our relationship, that our level of love and commitment was deeper and greater than we could ever have previously comprehended.  It was so very unique and special.  We both knew that.

There were occasions when Tony would, at the oddest of times, turn to me and ask, “Are you happy?” Even at our grumpiest of times it would make me stop and take the reality check and always answer that I was.  I kick myself so much now that very often my positive response to his question would be followed by, “I am so happy that I have to pinch myself because I keep expecting some bugger to come along and stuff it up.” Why did I say that!  That was such a dumb, dumb follow on.  Some bugger did, his name was Tumour.

Last year, after Tony had died, I found files on our PC that had somehow been save to a temp file and had long been forgotten about.  Files of Tony’s and mine; files that had me spending hours going through and reading and resaving as so many were treasures that we had both forgotten about.  Many were stories of Tony’s, of his life, his history.  Others were my own files, boring, with the exception of a couple.  And one of them was a note I had written to Tony on Valentine’s Day.  I guess you could call it a love note.  It was a hand written note that he had scanned and filed on the PC.

As corny as it may seem for an older couple like us to do, Tony and I always celebrated our love on Valentine’s Day.  Come the 14th February each year we would do something extra special, whether dinner in or dinner out, or lunch, or brunch.  There were always flowers and cards.  Always a surprise for me sometime during the day.  We were both romantics, that’s why we were made for each other.  And we had both learnt through years of bad experiences that when you know you have something special you make sure you keep it special.  We never took each other for granted.  And Valentine’s Day was just another day to remind ourselves not to.

Sometime during Valentine’s Day in 2007, the February prior to Tony being diagnosed with a brain tumour, Tony had quaintly asked me the question of why I loved him.  I sat down and wrote on a piece of note paper the reasons why I loved him.  Last year, among the files I found was the scanned words I had written.  These are the words.


You asked me why do I love you? 

Well, let me count the ways.

I love you because;

  1. You know me like no one else ever has;
  2. You know all of my vulnerabilities and accept them;
  3. You see my strengths and admire them;
  4. You accept, and even choose to overlook, my weaknesses;
  5. You often cannot see my weaknesses;
  6. But you always see my strengths;
  7. You give me strength, oh so much strength;
  8. Each time you touch me, hold my hand, hug me, I still have those lovely warm fuzzies rush through my heart and most importantly, my soul;
  9. When you hold me I feel safe and secure;
  10. When you cuddle me I feel and know I am loved.
  11. When I am upset, you feel for me and try and make things better.
  12. You chose to love those I love.
  13. You accept me for what I am and do not try to change me;
  14. You care for me above all other things.
  15. You laugh with me;
  16. You want to make me happy;
  17. You love hearing me laugh.
  18. You like being with me.
  19. You choose to be with me.
  20. You love the things I so love.

And most of all, I love you because you love me.

That is why yesterday was such a rat-shit day.

I have lost that love.  No matter how much folk tell me that he is here, with me;  that he will always be here, he is not.  Yesterday just reminded me what I have lost, what has gone.  Yes, I feel sorry for myself for it took 40 years to find it and only 20 years to lose it. 

I do feel content that at all times I never took it for granted.  We never took each other for granted.   Life experiences for us both had taught us to treasure the positive and eliminate the negative.

Only I am having trouble doing that at this point in time.  I have a lot to be positive about but am finding it difficult to stop looking at the negative.  For the negative was so positive.

Tony used to call me his ‘Maori Princess’.  A friend texted me yesterday afternoon and asked how the roving princess was getting on.  I responded that I was seeking a prince but doubted I would find one on the banks of the muddy Wairoa River.  As I sent that I wondered at myself that I could and was so frivolously cheeky when I had spend the day pouring buckets of tears over my lost King.  But it served to remind myself that silly and frivolous is positive.  In the midst of this deep, negative depression there is some positive.  I can still dig up some humour.     

I think it’s healthy.  But it’s still a rat-shit day.

                                                             

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment